I find it sort of amusing that there are articles relating birth trauma to Autism now. The reason I say that is because when we tried to link the trauma Sarah and I went through during her birth nobody would listen to me. I am happy that professionals are finally taking into consideration that birth trauma could indeed cause delays and or autistic traits in individuals who are eventually diagnosed as such.
It is so hard to believe that there is 1 in 50 children diagnosed with some form of Autism now! When Sarah was diagnosed in 1991 it was 1 in 10,000. My how things change! I am glad that there is much more awareness about Autism than their was then. I have to wonder though what are we getting closer to now that the awareness is out there? Are we getting closer to a cure? Or are we getting closer to just being able to live with it? Or maybe both??
- Autism-1 in 50. Better Diagnosis or something else? (rockinautismmom.com)
- Autism Prevalence: Can It Be 1 in 50? (psychologytoday.com)
- Autism Diagnoses Rise Among U.S. Children, CDC Finds – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- More kids diagnosed with autism as they get older (vitals.nbcnews.com)
- Autism Awareness: New insights and research (momentumblog.bcm.edu)
I don’t know what to think about this new development with the professionals linking ultra sounds to Autism. I have also read about their being a new blood test that is in the works for seeing if your child has Autism. I don’t know what to think about these new developments that are being worked on. What would you do if you knew your child was going to have Autism? What are we suppose to do, stop having ultra sounds? It is only my opinion but if I knew Sarah was going to have Autism I would still have her and love her just as I do and will always do. It is my mission to help her and be their for her in any way I can. I am concerned that if people knew they were going to have a challenged child they would not want him/her. I think ultra sounds are important but can be dangerous. I don’t know what do you think. I would be very interested in your responses.
- Simple Blood Test May Help Determine if a Child Has Autism (scienceworldreport.com)
- Could a blood test detect autism? Study aims to answer (vitals.nbcnews.com)
- DNA Sequencing Giant Illumina Joins Hunt for Autism Blood Test (technologyreview.com)